Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
CONTENTdm Collection
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
[Bookplate for Jenkins]
[Bookplate for Jenkins]
Title[Bookplate for Jenkins]
Date Created[not before 1885]
Sort Date1885
DescriptionBlack ink on cream paper. The crest features a furry lion passant reguardant standing atop a castle tower. The castle tower is above a crest-wreath. Elaborate, curling, feathery black and white mantling extends from the top of the shield and expands out along the sides. The shield is divided per pale. The left section has a white background with black dots and is charged with a black lion rampant reguardant. The right section of the shield is charged with a bird perched on a tree branch growing out of the ground. There is no background except for the branch and ground that is lighter on top and darker at the bottom. The motto is printed on a curling ribbon below the shield. There is shading on the ends of the ribbon. The motto is printed in capitalized, black, serif font. The bookplate owner's name is printed in a more stylized, paler, capitalized, black serif font underneath the motto.
Extent1 bookplate : intaglio printing ; 6.6 x 7.4 cm
SubjectPhysicians ; Lions ; Birds ; Heraldry
Subject - GeographicCharlottetown (P.E.I.)
Personal NamesJenkins
TypeStill Image
NotesThe Jenkins' are a famous five-generation family of doctors in Prince Edward Island. They descended from the Anglican clergyman Theophilus Desbrisay. Some notable members of the Jenkin lineage include John Theophilus Jenkins and Stephen Rice Jenkins. John Jenkins was an Anglican physician, surgeon, coroner, and druggist. Born on October 12, 1829 to Reverend L.C. Jenkins and Penelope Desbrisay, he married Jesse Esther Carson Rice on August 14, 1856 and had six children. John Jenkins became the first physician born on PEI to practice there. He studied at Central Academy in Charlottetown and St. Bartholomew's Hospital in London, England. After his studies, he was a surgeon for the British and Turkish armies in the Crimean War. He later settled in Upton, PEI. Other than medical practice, Jenkins bred horses and did horse ranching in Western Canada. Jenkins was also involved in politics. He served as a Conservative member of the Prince Edward Island Legislative Assembly ; first elected for Charlottetown Royalty in 1867. He was defeated in the federal election for Queen's County in 1873, but was re-elected to the House of Assembly in a by-election that year. He was then elected to the House of Commons for Queen's count in the federal election of 1882. However, Jenkins won by two votes and, while a recount confirmed the results, the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island overturned his victory. He was re-elected after his opponent resigned in 1884. Jenkins was defeated in his attempt to win the Charlottetown riding in the 1891 provincial election. John Jenkins died on January 17, 1919. One of John Jenkins' sons, Henry Hebert Jenkins, was a veterinary surgeon for the North West Mounted Police and established Jenkins Ranche in Alberta. Two of Jenkins' sons also served in the Legislative Assembly: Louis Leoline Jenkins and Stephen Rice Jenkins. Stephen Rice Jenkins was born on November 12, 1858 and married Ellen Josephine Sweeney on October 7, 1886. The couple had eleven children. He studied at St. Peter's Boys' School in Charlottetown and King's College in Windsor. After learning medicine from his father, he then studied formally at the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated with honours in 1885. After graduation, he was a house surgeon at Blockley hospital in Philadelphia. He returned to PEI in 1885 to practice in Tignish and then Cardigan. He ran the quarantine hospital in Charlottetown in 1885 during a smallpox epidemic. He moved to Charlottetown in 1888 and was commissioned surgeon in the 4th Prince Edward Island Provision Garrison Artillery Brigade. He was made an honorary lieutenant-colonel in 1904. His provincial political career began with defeat in 1900 and was then elected as a Conservative in Charlottetown in 1912 and 1915. Jenkins also served in the Canadian Army Medical Corps during World War One and was in charge of the Rockhead Military Hospital in Halifax between March 1915 and April 1919. He helped establish a veterans' hospital in Charlottetown in 1918. He had the largest medical and surgical practice on the Island and served as both senior staff surgeon at the Prince Edward Island Hospital and chief of staff at the Charlottetown Hospital. Jenkins was a member of the first Dominion Medical Council, registrar of the Prince Edward Island Medical Council, and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. In 1906 he was the president of the Maritime Medical Association. He was the chair of the Island branch of the American Society for the Control of Cancer in 1922. He was also the president of the Anti-Tuberculosis Society. He was active in many other professional organizations, including the provincial medical association and local committees on cancer research and social hygiene. Jenkins was also interested in preventive medicine and public health. Additionally, he was involved in Charlottetown's education system, sitting on the city's school board for thirty years. Unlike his father, he converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism. He was a member of the Catholic Mutual Benefit Association and the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He also founded the Free Dispensary for the Poor and continued his father's charity, the Jenkins Coal Fund. He died of pneumonia on September 15, 1929.
1) John Theophilus Jenkins. (n.d.). Retrieved 28 October 2017, from
2) Mullally, S. (2005). JENKINS, STEPHEN RICE. In Dictionary of Canadian Biography (Vol. 15). University of Toronto/Université Laval. Retrieved from
3) Our Ranch History. (n.d.). Retrieved 28 October 2017, from
Access IdentifierBP MUR CAN J5556
Digital IdentifierBP_MUR_CAN_J5556
Is Part OfRBSC Bookplates
SourceOriginal Format: University of British Columbia. Library. Rare Books and Special Collections. Thomas Murray Bookplates Collection. Stanley Binder. BP MUR CAN J5556
Date Available2017-10-31
Publisher - DigitalVancouver : University of British Columbia Library
RightsImages provided for research and reference use only. Permission to publish, copy, or otherwise use these images must be obtained from Rare Books and Special Collections:
TranscriptPARATUS. JENKINS. PEI. [Len.?] P.E.I.
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^