Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
CONTENTdm Collection
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
[Bookplate for William Swift Keyser]
[Bookplate for William Swift Keyser]
Title[Bookplate for William Swift Keyser]
Date Created[not before 1880]
Sort Date1880
DescriptionBlack ink on cream paper. The crest features an esquire helm with elaborate mantling extending out along both sides of the bookplate. Extended, feathery wings rise out of the top of the helm. The helm sites directly on the shield, which is divided per pale and per rounded chevron. The three parts of the shield are different colour. The upper left portion is argent, the upper right side portion has vertical sable lines, and the rounded bottom portion has horizontal sable lines. Sitting atop the rounded bottom portion is a king. The man is sitting cross-legged and holds a sword in his left hand and a rounded vessel with a cross on top in his right hand. The man is wearing a crown and a cape. He has long hair and a small beard. Below the shield, the bookplate owner's name is printed on a curling ribbon in capitalized, bold, serif font. Underneath the ribbon, text is printed in sentence case, thin, cursive font followed by a line of small black dots. There is a black ink smudge on the bottom right corner of the bookplate.
Extent1 bookplate : intaglio printing ; 7.6 x 10.5 cm
SubjectKings ; Armorial bookplates ; Heraldry
Subject - GeographicPensacola (Fla.)
Personal NamesKeyser, William Swift
TypeStill Image
NotesPaper extremely fragile. William Swift Keyser was born in the Massachusetts on August 13, 1856. He married Mary Eliza Campbell in 1888 and the couple had seven children. Keyser was raised in Pensacola. He initially went to Yale to study law, but became interested in the lumber industry and inherited his family's firm. The firm of Keyser, Judah & Company was established in 1857, but the company became Keyser & Company in the 1880s. They owned two large lumber mills and were heavily involved in foreign exports. James M. Muldon joined the firm and it was renamed Keyser-Muldon & Company in 1904. The firm closed after Keyser's death. Outside of business, Keyser was a Democrat, but he never ran for office. He was a member of New York's Yale and University clubs, as well as the local Osceola and Country clubs. Because one of Keyser's ancestors was Samuel Peace, he was a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. Keyser died on July 30, 1934 and is buried in St. John's Cemetery in Pensacola.
1) Appleyard, J. (2014). William Swift Keyser. Retrieved 29 December 2017, from
Access IdentifierBP MUR USA P K974
Digital IdentifierBP_MUR_USA_P_K974
Is Part OfRBSC Bookplates
SourceOriginal Format: University of British Columbia. Library. Rare Books and Special Collections. Thomas Murray Bookplates Collection. Stanley Binder. BP MUR USA P K974
Date Available2018-01-11
Publisher - DigitalVancouver : University of British Columbia Library
RightsImages provided for research and reference use only. Permission to publish, copy, or otherwise use these images must be obtained from Rare Books and Special Collections:
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^