Skip to content home : browse : advanced search : preferences : my favorites : about : help   
CONTENTdm Collection
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
[Bookplate for William C. Hawes by Alfred Adlard]
[Bookplate for William C. Hawes by Alfred Adlard]
Title[Bookplate for William C. Hawes by Alfred Adlard]
CreatorAdlard, Alfred
Date Created1864
Sort Date1864
DescriptionIn black ink on white paper a large building is shown surrounded by a fence, smaller buildings, and trees.
Extent1 bookplate : etching ; 7.7 x 12.3 cm
Subject - GeographicLondon (England)
Personal NamesHawes, William C.
TypeStill Image
NotesThe building featured in this bookplate is the home of the Royal Asylum of St. Anne's Society, built in 1829 in Brixton, Streatham Hill, London. St. Ann's Society was founded in 1709 and was also sometimes known as St. Anne's. It was originally created by parishioners of St. Ann's and St. Agnes in Aldersgate, London to provide education and clothing to boys, although later girls were also admitted. St. Ann's Society operated a town school from the 1770s until 1887 in Aldersgate, as well as a Country Asylum in Lavenham, Suffolk from 1783 until 1828. In 1846 the Society purchased a piece of land in Brixton within the Streatham parish and construction began on a new school in 1829 by the firm Messrs Young and Son of Eagle Street, Red Lion Square, London. It opened in March 1830, and was later added to in 1838. By 1890 the Brixton school building had been transformed into the St. Pancras Workhouse. In 1881 the Brixton school was moved to a new building in Redhill, built to accommodate 400 children, which later closed in 1919. In 1929 the Society decided to begin awarding grants for education and clothing rather than maintain a school. The Brixton school in Streatham Hill included a library and reading room and it was the practice of St. Ann's Society towards the later part of the 19th century to give each child who had successfully completed his or her education a bible and prayer books upon leaving. It is possible that this tradition is the origin of the bookplate pictured here. Alfred Adler was an engraver and copper plate printer who operated in London in the mid-19th century. According to an advertisement in The Art-Union for instance, in 1841 Adler owned a printing shop at No. 7 Wardrobe Place, in the area of Paternoster Row and Doctors Commons.
1) 'Alfred Adlard.' The Art-Union 3. January 1841. Accessed 29 August 2013
2) Higginbotham, Peter. 'St Pancras, Middlesex, London.' The Workhouse. Accessed 29 August 2013
3) 'The Royal Asylum of St. Ann's Society, Redhill: Records [finding aid].' Exploring Surrey's Past. Surrey History Centre Archives. Accessed 29 August 2013
Access IdentifierBP GEN ENG P H394
Digital IdentifierBP_GEN_ENG_P_H394
Is Part OfRBSC Bookplates
SourceOriginal Format: University of British Columbia. Library. Rare Books and Special Collections. General Bookplates Collection. BP GEN ENG P H394
Date Available2013
Publisher - DigitalVancouver : University of British Columbia Library
RightsImages provided for research and reference use only. Permission to publish, copy, or otherwise use these images must be obtained from Rare Books and Special Collections:
TranscriptAlfred Adlard sc. The Committee of THE ROYAL ASYLUM OF ST. ANN'S Society, To. William C. Hawes on leaving School May 28th 1864
add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
powered by CONTENTdm ® | contact us  ^ to top ^